Re: criticism about hosting download packages

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: criticism about hosting download packages
Date: 2011-02-23 23:31:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > The only way the EDB page will not be prominent is if the community
> > > starts maintaining its own one-click packages that provide the same
> > > level of functionality. Nobody has offered to put that effort in.
> >
> > I am happy that EDB maintain those packages. It is great and benefit
> > to lot of PostgreSQL users.
> > The issue is not with EDB page being prominent but with the bad taste
> > of the registration form which lead users to confusion.
>
> Right but that isn't our concern. EDB should and can do whatever they
> wish with that download page. It is up to the community to decide
> whether or not how they handle it is reasonable.

Yes, that is correct. The community can accept what EDB has on that
page or the community can stop linking to the EDB download site. The
point is that the community does have a choice.

FYI, the community, through Dave Page and Magnus, used to create
click-through installers for Windows, but the EDB installers are better
and don't require as much work for the community to produce, and they
work on many non-Windows operating systems, and EDB tests and does tech
support for those downloads.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com