Re: Sync Rep v17

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
Cc: heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, daniel(at)heroku(dot)com
Subject: Re: Sync Rep v17
Date: 2011-02-21 12:35:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, good news all round.
>
> v17 implements what I believe to be the final set of features for sync
> rep. This one I'm actually fairly happy with. It can be enjoyed best at
> DEBUG3.
>
> The patch is very lite touch on a few areas of code, plus a chunk of
> specific code, all on master-side. Pretty straight really. I'm sure
> problems will be found, its not long since I completed this; thanks to
> Daniel Farina for your help with patch assembly.

+ <primary><varname>synchronous_standby_names</> configuration parameter</primary>
+ </indexterm>
+ <listitem>
+ <para>
+ Specifies a list of standby names that can become the sole
+ synchronous standby. Other standby servers connect that are also on
+ the list become potential standbys. If the current synchronous standby
+ goes away it will be replaced with one of the potential standbys.
+ Specifying more than one standby name can allow very high availability.
+ </para>

Can anybody please enlighten me? I do not quite follow "Other standby
servers connect that are also on the list become potential standbys"
part.

Can I read this as "Other standby servers that are also on the list
become potential synchrnous standbys"?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan