Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: Dan Birken <dan(at)thumbtack(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ben Carbery <ben(dot)carbery(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature
Date: 2011-01-28 17:06:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:02:24PM -0500, Ray Stell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 02:22:41PM -0800, Dan Birken wrote:
> > > Can you give some concrete suggestions on what needs to be added? The
> > > current documentation is here:

It seems like there is a departure in postgresql/pg_hba.conf with 9.x
at standby activation. I'm running 8.x pitr standbys with the same conf
files on both systems. This is not possible in 9.x, right?

After the standby is activated, don't you have to restart with the a
different config file in order to get a new standby into recovery?

I suggest a statement about actions needed after a standby is activated.
This could be added in the 25.2.x somewhere.

wal_level and max_wal_senders are not dynamic and are not set as needed on
the new primary. Could this should be hacked into the activation code?