Re: How to best use 32 15k.7 300GB drives?

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to best use 32 15k.7 300GB drives?
Date: 2011-01-28 00:11:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On January 27, 2011, Robert Schnabel <schnabelr(at)missouri(dot)edu> wrote:
> So my questions are 1) am I'm crazy for doing this, 2) would you change
> anything and 3) is it acceptable to put the xlog & wal (and perhaps tmp
> filespace) on a different controller than everything else? Please keep
> in mind I'm a geneticist who happens to know a little bit about
> bioinformatics and not the reverse. :-)

Putting the WAL on a second controller does help, if you're write-heavy.

I tried separating indexes and data once on one server and didn't really
notice that it helped much. Managing the space was problematic. I would
suggest putting those together on a single RAID-10 of all the 300GB drives
(minus a spare). It will probably outperform separate arrays most of the
time, and be much easier to manage.

--
A hybrid Escalade is missing the point much in the same way that having a
diet soda with your extra large pepperoni pizza is missing the point.