Re: Doc reference of contrib modules

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc reference of contrib modules
Date: 2011-01-25 03:33:04
Lists: pgsql-docs

[ repost with compressed diff]

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Now that our /contrib documentation is in our SGML manual, I want to
> > update our docs to link to the actual contrib module documentation,
> > rather than just referencing contrib/module_name. We used to have to do
> > that when we only had READMEs, but now we can do better.
>
> > Patch attached, and I have a github branch of this too:
>
> This proposed patch seems quite inconsistent. You have removed the term
> "contrib" in some places and not others. I'm fine with just referring
> to stuff as "the so-and-so module" without use of the word "contrib",
> but if that's what we're going to do then all the references should look
> like that.

OK, I found a few more places; new patch attached. I also updated
github:

https://github.com/bmomjian/postgres/compare/master...contrib_links

> Also, I see some places where you removed the word contrib *without*
> turning the reference into a link. I think that's a seriously bad idea,
> since it leaves the reader with no hint of where to look in our

Well, the only place I did that was with tsearch2, and I had already
linked to it in the paragraph above so it seemed duplicative to do it
again. I did call it "module". You can see the result here:

http://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/textsearch-migration.html

Suggestions?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/contrib_links.gz application/x-gzip 7.1 KB