Re: Why can't I change a password <SOLVED>

From: Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why can't I change a password <SOLVED>
Date: 2011-01-16 20:56:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Dmitriy,

It turns out the solution I used was to su to postgres in Linux, and then run
the command psql without arguments, at which time I could have my way with any
object.

More in my responses to you...

On Sunday 16 January 2011 06:21:28 Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> Hey Steve,
>
> 2011/1/16 Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com>
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've somehow messed up something.
> >
> > psql super
>
> psql's synopsis is
> psql [option...] [dbname [username]]
> Thus, the call "psql super" connects psql to a database
> "super" but since username unspecified it is connected
> with current Unix user (which is returned by whois(1)).
>
> So, you should call psql like that
> psql super super
slitt(at)mydesk:~$ psql super super
psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "super"
slitt(at)mydesk:~$ psql postgres postgres
psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
slitt(at)mydesk:~$

> or like that
> psql -U super
slitt(at)mydesk:~$ psql -U super
psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "super"
slitt(at)mydesk:~$ psql -U postgres
psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
slitt(at)mydesk:~$

Now watch this:
slitt(at)mydesk:~$ su - postgres
Password:
postgres(at)mydesk:~$ psql -U postgres
psql (8.4.5)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=#

Luckily for me, needing to be Linux user postgres isn't at all an
inconvenience, so the problem is pretty much solved, although some curiosity
remains.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt