Re: Streaming base backups

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr
Cc: magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Streaming base backups
Date: 2011-01-16 01:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> When do the standby launch its walreceiver? It would be extra-nice for
> the base backup tool to optionally continue streaming WALs until the
> standby starts doing it itself, so that wal_keep_segments is really
> deprecated. No idea how feasible that is, though.

Good point. I have been always wondering why we can't use exiting WAL
transporting infrastructure for sending/receiving WAL archive
segments in streaming replication.
If my memory serves, Fujii has already proposed such an idea but was
rejected for some reason I don't understand.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan