Re: PostgreSQL hanging on new connections?

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL hanging on new connections?
Date: 2010-11-30 13:21:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 03:57:29PM -0500, Vick Khera wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com> writes:
> >> straced postmaster when the problem was happening, and I was opening new
> >> connections. strace looks like this:
> >> [ backend hangs on semop immediately after reading global/pg_database ]
> >
> > It looks like something had exclusive lock on the database that new
> > connections wanted to connect to.  AFAICS the only action in 8.3 that
> > would do that would be a DROP DATABASE or RENAME DATABASE.  What was
> > that other session doing?
>
> Every once in a while when I connect to my big DB it feels like it
> stalls the connection for a few seconds. I have no idea what causes
> it, but it does feel like it has to do with the load. The load is not
> all that high relative to what my box can handle. It doesn't happen
> often enough for me to track it down, though. It instinct is that it
> is waiting on a lock, but clearly there is no rename/drop happening on
> my main db else i'd be out of business :-) I too run 8.3 as primary
> right now... testing 9.0 for deployment soon-ish.

jkust so it will be clear - on some other occasion when we had the
problem, i left it hng for a while. 5 minutes later i still didn't get
the connection.

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz / blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007