Performance tests with parallel gmake

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Performance tests with parallel gmake
Date: 2010-11-27 21:18:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I ran some tests on my dual-Xeon machine to see what speedup using
parallel gmake. After two builds to warm up the cache, I saw when
alternating gmake and gmake -j2:

gmake 0m57.207s
gmake -j2 0m44.305s
gmake 0m58.691s
gmake -j2 0m33.979s

As you can see, gmake -j2 is ~35% faster than gmake without -j. I will
be using -j from now on. -j3 shaves another second off.

FYI, I also use ccache for compiles.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com