Re: BUG #5735: pg_upgrade thinks that it did not start the old server

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Arturas Mazeika <mazeika(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5735: pg_upgrade thinks that it did not start the old server
Date: 2010-11-10 13:26:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:

> > Can anyone suggest a way pg_upgrade could detect an upgrade from a
> > 32-bit to 64-bit cpu and throw an error?
>
> Surely it does that already, as a result of comparing pg_control
> contents.

Surely it does, but I didn't understand how the user able to run
pg_upgrade? I see now that he failed before we completed our checks so
he would have gotten an error later if he could have started his server:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-10/msg00282.php

Thanks.

Not sure why he was unable to start the old server, but we decided he
couldn't use pg_upgrade anyway in his setup.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com