Re: Using Religion to make a case for the BSD(PostgreSQL) licencse

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using Religion to make a case for the BSD(PostgreSQL) licencse
Date: 2010-11-06 15:10:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Richard Broersma wrote:
> I just read an interesting article which starts out as a MySQL vs.
> Postgresql but latter boils down to a GPL vs. BSD arguement.
>
> http://www.enterpriseirregulars.com/28665/internal-email-on-why-a-software-company-migrates-away-from-mysql/
>
> My opinion about the author is that he or she was pretty bold
> regarding the religious illustration used in the argument. I think I
> would have been fired on the spot if I distributed an internal email
> with a similar argument.

I am not sure I fully understand the author's point, but it was
certainly interesting, and the "force charity" line is right on the
mark.

I am not sure we should avoid historical analogies just because they
reference religious history --- the analogy seemed reasonable, meaning
he didn't go out of his way to reference religious history, but rather
it made sense to the author. I would hate to think that people can't
express themselves in that way.

The reference to "Ingres" was surprising because we rarely hear of
migrations to Ingres. I personally found the "Why not Ingres" line
humorous. (OK, I am a bad boy.) ;-)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com