BUG #5721: EnterpriseDB linux one-click installer missing libuuid.so.16

From: "Alexia Lau" <alau(at)esri(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5721: EnterpriseDB linux one-click installer missing libuuid.so.16
Date: 2010-10-23 01:56:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5721
Logged by: Alexia Lau
Email address: alau(at)esri(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1
Operating system: SUSE 11/RHEL 5.5 32-bit & 64-bit
libuuid.so.16
Details:

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem reported with bug #5677, but I'm
installing on SUSE 11 and RedHat 5.5. I saw a thread below and Dave Page
mentioned that there's a bug which didn't copy the library properly which
has been fixed at PostgreSQL 9.0.2. What is the bug number related to this
and when is the planned release for 9.0.2? Will EnterpriseDB fix the
one-click installer for linux builds to this?

Thank you,
Alexia

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-10/msg00311.php

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike Christensen <mike(at)xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If you have a libossp-uuid.so.16, you might try symlinking
libuuid.so.16
>>> to that instead of carrying a separate file.
>
>> So now what you're saying is if it's not broke, fix it till it is :)
>
> Well, it's hard to argue with that position ;-). But I'll try anyway:
> the platform-provided version of the library will be updated for bug
> fixes, compatibility rebuilds, etc. Your private copy won't be, unless
> you remember to do it. Eventually that's gonna bite ya.
>
> Of course the best fix would be for EDB to ship a build of Postgres
> that actually follows the platform-standard naming convention for this
> library. I'm still wondering why they're linking to libuuid.so.
> Dave?

Because that's what comes with ossp-uuid 1.6.2, and I assume is what
configure chooses when we use --with-ossp-uuid:

[buildfarm(at)bf2-linux ~]$ uuid-config --libs
-luuid

FYI, there was also a bug in the installer which didn't copy the
library properly, which has been fixed for 9.0.2.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL Core Team