Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can someone design a Postgres9 Information Page?
Date: 2010-10-21 19:06:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I have the domain postgres9.org, which was used for the release
> > party invitation.
>
> Wow! After all the concern about the "Great Leap Forward" phrase,
> you did everything short of including a picture of Mao's Little Red
> Book! I guess if you're going there, you might as well go right
> over the top.... ;-)

Agreed. I think we were OK with the phrase, but when I saw the hat on
the elephant, that associated the phrase with Mao too closely, and too
closely with the tens of millions killed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward#Deaths_by_starvation

Effectively, this is the same as saying, "Postgres 9: The Final
Solution" and putting a Nazi arm band on the PG elephant.

As you can tell, I am not happy with this, and have stated it privately
already to the people involved. If we are going to be a professional
organization, we should not be making mistakes like this.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com