Re: O_DSYNC broken on MacOS X?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O_DSYNC broken on MacOS X?
Date: 2010-10-19 15:22:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith wrote:
> A.M. wrote:
> > Perhaps a simpler tool could run a basic fsyncs-per-second test and prompt the DBA to check that the numbers are within the realm of possibility.
> >

> This is what the test_fsync utility that already ships with the database
> should be useful for. The way Bruce changed it to report numbers in
> commits/second for 9.0 makes it a lot easier to use for this purpose
> than it used to be. I think there's still some additional improvements
> that could be made there, but it's a tricky test to run accurately. The

test_fsync was designed to test various things like whether several
open-sync writes are better than two write and an fsync, and whether you
can fsync data written on a different file descriptor. It is really a
catch-all test right now, not one specific for choosing sync methods.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com