Re: SQL command to edit postgresql.conf, with comments

From: Garick Hamlin <ghamlin(at)isc(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL command to edit postgresql.conf, with comments
Date: 2010-10-13 19:24:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:56:15PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > But creating a separate file doesn't fix that problem. It just moves
> > it around. If people will expect comments in postgresql.conf to get
> > preserved, then why won't they also expect comments in
> > postgresql.conf.auto to get preserved?
>
> Because postgresql.conf.auto will have a nice leading comment telling
> people (1) not to hand-edit the file, (2) if they do so anyway,
> not to expect comments to be preserved, and (3) the place to do manual
> editing of settings is postgresql.conf.
>
> > If the answer is "because postgresql.conf has always worked that way
> > before", then add one more line to the proposed initial contents
> > saying it's not true any more.
>
> Sorry, wrong answer. The objection to this is not whether you tell
> people that you're taking away the ability to keep useful comments
> in postgresql.conf, it's that you're taking away the ability.
>
> regards, tom lane

I like this approach. I was just wondering if there is a simple
tweak to this schema to make it work more easily with standbys. If
there was a GUC that controlled the 'auto filename' and it could expand
something like %h to hostname (or name if we had something like standby
registration). This would allow each standby to store its local settings
in a different location and have something like a unified set of config
files.

I suppose something like symlinking postgresql.auto <hostname>.auto on each
machine might achieve a similar effect...

Garick