Re: Which file does the SELECT?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which file does the SELECT?
Date: 2010-10-10 20:23:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:51:54PM +0530, Vaibhav Kaushal wrote:
> However, I find too many references to the Data structure "datum" what is it
> and where is it defined? Can someone tell me please? Also, what role does it
> play?

"Datum" is the singular form of "data". It refers to a single item of
any type. So it may be an integer, text type, geometry type, anything.
A row is a list of datums. (A datum can also be a composite type).

Normally in the planner code you don't need to worry to much about what
it explicitly refers to, but if you do, you need to know the type of a
datum before you can manipulate it. The type is not stored inside the
datum.

Have a nice day,