Re: Unable to generate man pages for translated sgml

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to generate man pages for translated sgml
Date: 2010-09-29 23:09:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On ons, 2010-09-29 at 23:22 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Starting from 9.0, it seems unable to generate man pages for Japanese
>> translated sgml(generating html is ok). Until 8.4 it worked fine. Does
>> anybody succeeded in generating non English/multibyte translated man pages?
>
> You leave a lot to be guessed here, but note that since DocBook SGML
> always uses Latin-1 encoding, what you are describing is by definition
> impossible and could only have worked by some accident.

Japanese community has been using the DocBook/SGML tool chain with
EUC-JP translated documents since SGML was emplyed by
PostgreSQL. Problem with 9.0 doc build system is now it's a mixture of
DocBook/SGML *and* DocBook/XML(used for man pages). The former *only*
accepts EUC-JP, the latter *only* accepts UTF-8. So we are stuck.

The leader of Japanse translation team is thinking about to hack 9.0's
doc system to get back to good old days 8.4's. Of course it's a waste
of time in the long term but it seems it's the only thing we can do as
for now. We need to publish complete Japanses docs as soon as possible
since its one of the most important factors to make PostgreSQL popular
in Japan.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan