Re: Why is time with timezone 12 bytes?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why is time with timezone 12 bytes?
Date: 2010-09-25 10:21:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 02:33:06PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I'm worried about how we're going to manage that. First, as
> pg_upgrade becomes more mature, the penalty for breaking on-disk
> compatibility gets a LOT bigger. I'd like to think that "the next
> time we break on-disk compatibility" means approximately "never", or
> at least "not for a very long time". Second, if we do decide to break
> it, how and when will we make that decision? Are we just going to
> decide to break it when we run into a feature that we really want that
> can't be had any other way?

I don't think we should be discouraging people from trying to solve the
problems though. Given that you know that eventually there will come a
time that you need to change the format, it seems it would be better to
have one release that changes a datatype, one that changes the page
layout, etc, rather than doing one release that breaks everything at
once.

From a pure testing point of view, if someone coded up a multi-OID
approach to data type upgrades and it was actually tested in a release
that would give a lot more confidence than changing everything at once.

So, regular small changes rather than one big change that nobody wants
to try.

Have a nice day,