Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo

From: Elvis Pranskevichus <el(at)prans(dot)net>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Date: 2010-09-22 00:06:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On September 21, 2010 07:32:57 pm Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Elvis Pranskevichus <el(at)prans(dot)net> wrote:
> > # apply the "patch mailbox"
> > $ git am ../postgresql.old/patches.mbox
>
> That's not working for me.
>
> Applying: Provide two macros for categorizing current transaction
> isolation level (IsXactIsoLevelXactSnapshotBased and
> IsXactIsoLevelFullySerializable) to replace the
> IsXactIsoLevelSerializable macro. Adjust comments to reflect the
> distinction, and rename a now-misleading variable.
> error: patch failed: src/backend/catalog/index.c:2133
> error: src/backend/catalog/index.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/backend/commands/trigger.c:2319
> error: src/backend/commands/trigger.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/backend/executor/execMain.c:1538
> error: src/backend/executor/execMain.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/backend/executor/nodeLockRows.c:130
> error: src/backend/executor/nodeLockRows.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/backend/executor/nodeModifyTable.c:326
> error: src/backend/executor/nodeModifyTable.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/backend/utils/adt/ri_triggers.c:3314
> error: src/backend/utils/adt/ri_triggers.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/backend/utils/time/snapmgr.c:37
> error: src/backend/utils/time/snapmgr.c: patch does not apply
> error: patch failed: src/include/access/xact.h:32
> error: src/include/access/xact.h: patch does not apply
> Patch failed at 0001 Provide two macros for categorizing current
> transaction isolation level (IsXactIsoLevelXactSnapshotBased and
> IsXactIsoLevelFullySerializable) to replace the
> IsXactIsoLevelSerializable macro. Adjust comments to reflect the
> distinction, and rename a now-misleading variable.
> When you have resolved this problem run "git am --resolved".
> If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git am --skip".
> To restore the original branch and stop patching run "git am
> --abort".
>
> For the record, this branch was regularly merged with changes from
> the master branch of the old PostgreSQL git repo which was a copy of
> CVS head. I filtered out the 167 non-merge commits on my
> serializable branch since 8 Jan 2010. Is there any practical way to
> resolve this so that I can keep the history?
>
> -Kevin

Instead of filtering non-merge commits I would suggest doing git rebase on the
latest revision of the old git repo. That way you will get a set of commits
that should apply cleanly. The reason it is failing now is that it is
impossible for git am to do a 3-way merge without the original git objects,
which are obviously not available in the new repo.

Elvis