Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5660: Can't start db service if specify effective_io_concurrency
Date: 2010-09-18 00:58:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for your quick support.
> I've understood. Please close this bug ticket.
>
> I hope add comment e.g"(unix only)" onto effective_io_concurrency line
> in postgresql.conf if possible.

We currently have in our docs:

Asynchronous I/O depends on an effective <function>posix_fadvise</>
function, which some operating systems lack. If the function is not
present then setting this parameter to anything but zero will result
in an error. On some operating systems (e.g., Solaris), the function
is present but does not actually do anything.

It is not Unix-only, but only some versions of Unix.