Re: Forcing the right queryplan

From: Henk van Lingen <H(dot)G(dot)K(dot)vanLingen(at)uu(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forcing the right queryplan
Date: 2010-09-10 08:27:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 11:16:36AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Henk van Lingen <H(dot)G(dot)K(dot)vanLingen(at)uu(dot)nl> writes:
>
> > But how can I get sane estimates for syslog data? Some searchstrings will
> > result in only a few hits, others in thousands of records or more.
>
> That's what ANALYZE is for ...

Yes, off course. But I don't see how the most_common_vals & freqs and the
histogram_bounds for a text field with syslog data make any sense when
doing doing a search for a substring. Increasing the number of entries in
those stats lists doesn't make any sense also, i presume.

Those stats should be based on analysis of the to_tsvector index, to have
any meaning, i think.

Today I will look into the multicolumn index suggestion.

Regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, ICT-SC Netwerk & Telefonie, (o- -+
Universiteit Utrecht, Jenalaan 18a, room 0.12 /\ |