Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-28 21:42:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:45:47 -0700
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 00:36 +0530, Sandeep Srinivasa wrote:
> > yup I did. The reason why I wanted examples was to amply
> > demonstrate,to clients, that postgresql is viable.
> > It is kinda weird if the only examples I have are restricted to
> > the postgresql _community_ websites themselves.
> >
> Well you are kind of asking in the wrong place. You should be
> asking in #drupal, #drupal-support, #drupal-ubercart or in the
> Drupal forums.

Well he will spend most of the time filtering people bashing
postgres there.

> > Plus, it would have been interesting to know which version of
> > Drupal, Ubercart, etc was being used for such deployments.
> > Again, it is relevant because of certain (older) benchmarks
> > which denote significantly worse performance because of the
> > suboptimal way that

> Latest 6.x release and latest Ubercart release.

> > Drupal integrates with Postgresql :
> > http://mikkel.hoegh.org/blog/2008/oct/13/drupal-database-performance-mysql-postgresql/
> > There has been _nothing_ to disprove the above numbers, ever
> > since - please correct me if I am wrong.

> You should read that "whole" blog. PostgreSQL does very well in
> consideration of the environment. I would also note that there is
> no reference to whether or not he tuned PostgreSQL or not.

> I have zero problems running Drupal with PostgreSQL and getting
> great performance but then again I know enough to tune both
> Drupal, PHP and PostgreSQL. Most people can't say that (I am not
> saying you can't).

I'm happy with PostgreSQL and Drupal too and right now I didn't have
to get too worried about performances.

D7 should support many things that makes more sense to use Postgres.
I had to tweak D5 and D6 core to make it work with Postgres as I
needed... the problem is it takes a lot of time to see postgres
related patch get into core.
Modules that are worth to use generally have reasonable maintainer,
fixes and release are much faster.

Still I'd say that if you don't have any specific reason to use
postgresql (you have to access data on another app using postgres,
you need some special feature (full text, GIS), you've a lot of
writes to the DB...) would be a better choice if you had equal
knowledge of both.

Are there companies that offer drupal/postgres tuning?

> That is a tough one. I mean, prove it to him. Set up Drupal with
> MySQL/Innodb and setup Drupal with PostgreSQL and do some tests.
> You can also look for things like this:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2010/07/multiple_drupal_installations_single_login_10_steps/

Schemas in postgres with drupal are great.

using:
http://www.webthatworks.it/d1/content/howto-duplicating-schema-postgresql
and
http://www.webthatworks.it/d1/content/excluding-some-tables-data-backup-including-their-schema
makes a breeze to duplicate sites.
And you can still conserve all triggers pk, fk, on duplicate
cascade...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it