Re: How Big is Too Big for Tables?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: P Kishor <punk(dot)kish(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Bill Thoen <bthoen(at)gisnet(dot)com>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How Big is Too Big for Tables?
Date: 2010-07-28 18:38:26
Lists: pgsql-general

* P Kishor (punk(dot)kish(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Three. At least, in my case, the overhead is too much. My data are
> single bytes, but the smallest data type in Pg is smallint (2 bytes).
> That, plus the per row overhead adds to a fair amount of overhead.

My first reaction to this would be- have you considered aggregating the
data before putting it into the database in such a way that you put more
than 1 byte of data on each row..? That could possibly reduce the
number of rows you have by quite a bit and also reduce the impact of the
per-tuple overhead in PG..

Thanks,

Stephen