Re: Testing 9.0beta3 and pg_upgrade

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing 9.0beta3 and pg_upgrade
Date: 2010-07-13 16:19:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying pg_upgrade on my Windows installation and I have two
> suggestions for the manual regarding pg_upgrade:
>
> When specifying directories, pg_upgrade *requires* a forward slash as
> the path separator. This is (still) uncommon in the Windows world
> (although Windows does support it) and even though the example in the
> manual does show forward slashes, I think it would be a good idea to
> specifically mention the fact that it will *not* work with a backslash.

Are you sure this is not the behavior of all Postgres commands? For
example, if you use 'psql -f filename dbname', does 'filename' have the
same behavior as the pg_upgrade directory specifications?

> The "cannot run inside a transaction block" rang a bell, and once I
> removed "\set AUTOCOMMIT off" from my psqlrc.conf, pg_upgrade went
> through without problems.
>
> I would suggest to either manually change the autocommit mode from
> within pg_upgrade or to add a note in the manual to disable/remove this
> setting from psqlrc.conf before running pg_upgrade. Personally I think
> the first option would be the better one.

I have applied the attached patch so .psqlrc is no longer read by psql.
That should fix this problem. I can't imagine anything pg_upgrade needs
in .pgsqlrc.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 3.1 KB