Re: Cannot open table in new database

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sapient(at)clear(dot)net(dot)nz
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot open table in new database
Date: 2010-07-01 00:04:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 01 July 2010 11:11:29 am Phil Jackson wrote:
> Hi Adrian
>
> The link says that;
>
> "Identifier and key word names are case insensitive."
>
> But I have renamed the source table in lowercase and this gets me one
> step further.
>
> I'll carry on and see what happens next.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Jackson

You need to go to bottom of that section where you would find :)

"Quoting an identifier also makes it case-sensitive, whereas unquoted names are
always folded to lower case. For example, the identifiers FOO, foo, and "foo"
are considered the same by PostgreSQL, but "Foo" and "FOO" are different from
these three and each other. (The folding of unquoted names to lower case in
PostgreSQL is incompatible with the SQL standard, which says that unquoted
names should be folded to upper case. Thus, foo should be equivalent to "FOO"
not "foo" according to the standard. If you want to write portable applications
you are advised to always quote a particular name or never quote it.) "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com