Re: pg_upgrade issues

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: depstein(at)alliedtesting(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade issues
Date: 2010-06-22 16:43:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

depstein(at)alliedtesting(dot)com wrote:
> Another issue:
>
> 4. The --link option doesn't seem to work on Windows: pg_upgrade still
> copies data from the old cluster to the new. There doesn't appear to
> be a way to upgrade a database on Windows without copying the entire
> uncompressed database, which can be a problem where disk space is
> limited.

[ Email moved to hackers list.]

I am confused why you are seeing this behavior. I know my Win32 tester
had it working. We have this code:

#ifdef WIN32
static int
win32_pghardlink(const char *src, const char *dst)
{
/*
* CreateHardLinkA returns zero for failure
* http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363860(VS.85).aspx
*/
if (CreateHardLinkA(dst, src, NULL) == 0)
return -1;
else
return 0;
}
#endif

and we test for failures. We even have code that tests to make sure
hard links work before we start the migration. In fact, pg_upgrade
--check will perform the hard link test without performing the upgrade.

I assume you don't have the ability to try a patch that would exit just
before the hard link test removes its test file.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com