Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 17:58:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

M. Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> > Greg is entirely correct. We cannot export or facilitate the export of
> > cryto code to embargoed countries, such as Syria due to US export
> > laws. This doesn't just apply to EnterpriseDB of course, it applies to
> > the community as well, either where our servers are in the US, or the
> > people working on them are in the US. The penalties for ignoring this
> > are *extremely* harsh.
> >
> I want to ask you a tiny question, do you agree with this policy? if yes
> go ahead and forbid your projects but not others projects (my friend
> from Spain be came crazy when I told him that I can access the SVN
> because US blocked my IP).

To clarify, the source code can be downloaded from anywhere. It is only
the one-click installer that embeds OpenSSL that is a problem.

Technically the non-source code distributions of Postgres are produced
by external groups. The community only distributes the source code,
though we provide links to the external groups, and we are working with
those groups to see if we can come up with a solution.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com