Re: so, does this overlap or not...? - fencepost question on overlaps()

From: Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: so, does this overlap or not...? - fencepost question on overlaps()
Date: 2010-06-04 07:16:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Tom,

> The rationale is "do what the SQL spec says" ;-)

can't argue with the standard ;)

> I seem to recall a previous discussion in the PG lists

Good memory !

Adding 'sql standard' to the search options helped, this issue seems to elude
people every now and then, given (amongst others):

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01457.php

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-11/msg00763.php

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-11/msg00527.php

One might consider adding a single line to the end of 9.9 of the docs that
warns for this behaviour and/or add the specific example....?

Thanks for your help.

--
Best,

Frank.