Re: No lidbl.so in libpq.so (postgresql 8.4.4)

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: gfu(at)sigmaspace(dot)com, lists(at)itech7(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No lidbl.so in libpq.so (postgresql 8.4.4)
Date: 2010-05-29 02:48:41
Lists: pgsql-general

> Gary Fu <gfu(at)sigmaspace(dot)com> writes:
> > Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> >> Could you please explain a little more what you want to do actually ?
>
> > I have the following problem to run 'configure' when building pgpool
> > 2.3.3 with libpq from normal built of postgreSQL 8.4.4.
>
> > configure:24789: result: no
> > configure:24799: error: libpq is not installed or libpq is old
>
> This is a bug in pgpool's configure script, which you should report to
> them not us. It's not our responsibility to supply libdl.

Starting from pgpool-II 2.3 it provides SSL support and it needs
libssl then libssl needs libdl. Because pgpool's configure does not
link libdl(which is a bug), pgpool relies on libpq's reference to
libdl. Unfortunately libpq does not refer to libdl unless libpq
is configured with SSL support. Probably his PostgreSQL 8.4.4 build
was made without SSL support. Sorry for making a noise.

I'm studying now libpq's build to know how to refer to libdl if SSL is
enabled...
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan