Re: PostgreSQL Function Language Performance: C vs PL/PGSQL

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-performance(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Function Language Performance: C vs PL/PGSQL
Date: 2010-05-26 16:47:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

* Eliot Gable (egable+pgsql-performance(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Since PostgreSQL is written in C, I assume there is no
> such additional overhead. I assume that the PL/PGSQL implementation at its
> heart also uses SPI to perform those executions. Is that a fair statement?

Right, but I also wouldn't expect a huge improvment either, unless
you're calling these queries a ton, or the queries that you're calling
from the pl/pgsql are pretty short-lived.

Don't get me wrong, C is going to be faster, but it depends on exactly
what's going on as to if it's going to be an overall improvment of, say,
10%, or a 10-fold improvment. :)

Thanks,

Stephen