Re: pg_upgrade and extra_float_digits

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and extra_float_digits
Date: 2010-05-17 10:11:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> It's going to require some fancy dancing to get the buildfarm to do it.
> >> Each buildfarm run is for a specific branch, and all the built artefacts
> >> are normally thrown away.
>
> > Uh, that is not actually a problem. You just need to set
> > extra_float_digits=-3 to create the dump file, which is only done once
> > for each major version.
>
> Wrong. In the first place, we're not going to start carrying something
> as large as a pg_dump of the regression database as part of the source
> code for the buildfarm. Even if we wanted to, it wouldn't work because
> the results aren't platform-independent --- there are float differences
> and probably row ordering differences to worry about. In the second

Oh, yea.

> place, it won't "only be done once", unless you imagine that we never
> change the regression tests for back branches; a casual perusal of the
> CVS logs will disprove that idea.

Well, it doesn't have to match the regression test output exactly --- it
just has to be a valid sample. I never run the regression tests as part
of my testing --- I only load my fixed pg_dump output into the old
database and dump them from the new, and diff.

> The only thing that's really going to work here is to generate the dump
> on the fly.

Well, to do it on the fly, you need to:

use $libdir for regression .so files, not absolute paths
change CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE to simple CREAtE for 8.4
run it twice to fix inheritance COPY column ordering
deal with extra_float_digits

That sounds tricky.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com