Re: debugging handle exhaustion and 15 min/ 5mil row delete

From: Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debugging handle exhaustion and 15 min/ 5mil row delete
Date: 2010-05-07 14:10:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

> You can use TRUNCATE instead DELETE. TRUNCATE is more efficient and
> faster that DELETE.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, TRUNCATE is not compatible with
Slony, and we also have some rows which remain in table.

> Now, we need more information about your system to give you a certain
> solution:
> Are you using a RAID controller for you data?

Yes.

> Do you have separated the xlog directory from the data directory?

No.

> Which is your Operating System?

FreeBSD.

> Which is you architecture?

i386.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try batching the deletes for now,
which is approach was worked well for some of our other long-running
deletes.

Mark