Re: psql: Add setting to make '+' on \d implicit

From: Terry Brown <terry_n_brown(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: Add setting to make '+' on \d implicit
Date: 2010-04-24 14:01:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:28:38 -0400

> If we were to do something like that, it would certainly have to affect
> every \d variant that has a + option. Which is probably not a very good
> idea --- in many cases that's a very expensive/verbose option. I can't
> get excited about this proposal, personally.

I was thinking of affecting all \d* commands, didn't know some were expensive though.

> What the OP actually seemed to care about was database object comments.
> I could see somebody who relied heavily on comments wanting his comments
> to be included in all display commands, even without the + option.
> Maybe a configuration variable along the lines of 'always_show_comments'
> would be a better design.

Sounds good, comment visibility is my goal. I know full metadata should be handled in other ways, but I like to do most processing in psql sessions for the self documenting effect, and seeing comments helps in that context. If \pset's not the right place anywhere else would be fine.

Thanks for considering,
Cheers -Terry