Re: pgsql 8.3.3 "Invalid page header" leads to "FATAL: segment too big"

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql 8.3.3 "Invalid page header" leads to "FATAL: segment too big"
Date: 2010-04-23 09:06:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Στις Thursday 22 April 2010 19:02:00 ο/η Cédric Villemain έγραψε:
> 2010/4/22 Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>:
> > Στις Thursday 22 April 2010 16:53:05 ο/η Cédric Villemain έγραψε:

> >> segment have 1.1GB size maximum. You have to catch in what segment the
> >> faulty block is, and reajust the block value from the error report to
> >> the real one in the good segment.
> >>

> > Thanx,
> > Taking a look at /usr/local/src/postgresql-8.3.3/src/backend/storage/smgr/md.c
> > i see the the error comes from function mdnblocks
> >
> > if (nblocks > ((BlockNumber) RELSEG_SIZE))
> >                        elog(FATAL, "segment too big");
> >
> > That means, that some segment file is bigger than RELSEG_SIZE
> > At least in my system:
> > #define BLCKSZ   8192
> > #define RELSEG_SIZE (0x40000000 / BLCKSZ)
> > So, any segment file cannot be bigger than RELSEG_SIZE blocks (or 2^30 bytes = 1GB)
> >
> > Currently i dont have any access to the machine but tomorrow i will check the file sizes.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light as to some method of identifying all the segment files of a table?
> > The first one has the same name as the tableoid.
> > How about the subsequent segments?
>
> Your execution of dd make your first segment bigger than expected.
> Other segment have the same name with a .1 .2 etc suffix.
>
> You have to shrink your first segment to the correct size.
> check what happens, you should have now the original error.
>
> And, I have never used it, but I think it is the purpose of
> zero_damaged_pages to parameter to allow postgresql itself to zero the
> bad black. (reading
> src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c confirm that.
>
> *BUT* take care that it will zero *every* bad page, perhaps not only
> the one trapping an error.
>
> In those situation, it is good to make a snapshot of the pgdata
> directory, in case your fingers surf too fast on the keyboard....
>
> If you don't want to activate zero_damage_page, then go and calculate
> which block in which segment you have to zeroing.
>
> side note, it may be usefull to have the relevant information in the
> error message...

Many Thanks, Cédric Villemain and Tom
What i did was first to correct the first segment file with smth like
dd if=216293737 of=216293737.good seek=0 bs=8192 count=131072
which effectively truncates all but the first 131072 blocks (or 2^30 bytes = 1GB)

After that was done, and restarting postgresql backend, then i fell back to the situation
with the Invalid page header, as noted before.

I stopped the backend and calculated the exact segment file and offset where the problem was:
The block with the invalid header was the block with number: 672720
Now each segment contains at most 131072 blocks, with all but the last
containing exactly 131072 blocks.
So my problematic segment was the one with number:
672720 /131072 = 5
and the block offset inside this segment was:
672720 - (5*131072) = 17360

so i tried to zero that patricular block with

dd conv=notrunc if=216293737.5 of=216293737.5.GOOD seek=17360 bs=8192 count=1

i started postgresql and i threw out a warning about initializing this zero page.
After that, i reported error in header for block 672740,
i repeated the same procedure, and i was able to go further and even reindex the whole database
which went fine.

I tried as the ultimate test (and a useful one at this point) to pg_dump the database.
Unfortunately one table seems to be in error: the error is:

pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: compressed data is corrupt
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.mail_entity (msgno, entno, entparentno....

I think the initial issue of this thread is solved, i'll come back with news on the pg_dump issue.