Re: Vacuum cancels autovacuum error message confusing?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum cancels autovacuum error message confusing?
Date: 2010-04-20 22:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Isn't this just because you ran the postmaster in the same terminal as
> > pgbench?
>
> Right, but those messages appear in the logs as well. I'm thinking of
> the reaction of anyone reading the logs ... since they wouldn't, at that
> time, know about a manual vacuum that happened.

Eh? I think they could examine pg_stat_user_tables to see the last
vacuum time of the table ... in fact, wouldn't one do exactly that
before reaching any conclusions about this error message?

Or are you saying that each and every VACUUM should emit a LOG message?
You know, so that the user knows that a vacuum happened, manual or
otherwise.

That said, I'm not wedded to that message wording; feel free to propose
something better.