Re: BUG #5431: CREATE USER is not case sensitive, but psql command line arguments are

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Evan Nelson <ean5533(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5431: CREATE USER is not case sensitive, but psql command line arguments are
Date: 2010-04-19 20:20:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Evan Nelson escribió:

> Bug reference: 5431
> Logged by: Evan Nelson
> Email address: ean5533(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system: Ubuntu 9.10
> arguments are
> Details:
>
> When creating a user (via CREATE USER/ROLE), the username you choose is not
> case sensitive (e.g. "nEWuSer" is saved as "newuser"). However, the command
> line arguments for psql ARE case sensitive. This means that if I create a
> user like "newUser", then try to log into postgres via psql as "newUser",
> I'll be told the the role doesn't exist. Then, when I log into postgres as
> an existing user and try to re-create the role "newUser", postgres will tell
> me that the role already exists -- a frustrating cycle.

Right. This is because of a mixture of trying to adhere to the SQL
standard (which mandates that unquoted identifiers are case-folded) and
convenience of usafe of the shell command line. The strict solution would
be to case-fold unquoted identifiers passed as arguments to psql, so
you'd be required to type something like
psql \"nEWuSer\"
to be able to log in as such a user -- otherwise the quotes would be
stripped by the shell. However, this is so inconvenient that it has
been dumped in favor of not doing case-folding of idenfiers in shell
command line arguments, regardless of quoting.

In short, not a bug ...