Re: Database size growing over time and leads to performance impact

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>, Gnanakumar <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database size growing over time and leads to performance impact
Date: 2010-03-31 20:47:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Scott Carey wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2010, at 6:35 AM, Andy Colson wrote:
> >
> > Dont "VACUUM FULL", its not helping you, and is being removed in newer versions.
> >

> Off topic: How is that going to work? CLUSTER doesn't work on tables
> without an index. I would love to be able to CLUSTER on some column
> set that doesn't necessarily have an index.

VACUUM FULL has been rewritten in 9.0 so that it uses the CLUSTER logic,
except that it doesn't require an index.

If you want to do it in earlier versions, you can use a no-op SET TYPE
command, like so:

ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar SET TYPE baz;

assuming that table foo has a column bar which is already of type baz.