Re: Problems with variable cursorname in ecpg

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with variable cursorname in ecpg
Date: 2010-03-31 11:13:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:35:31AM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> > I think we should  make the error message/documentation a little bit clearer as
> > people have stumbled over it.
>
> Yes, we need to document it.

I changed the error message and documented a possible improvement in the TODO list.

> I think you forget that in this case, only global variables are
> usable in the DECLARE in this case, no local variables in
> functions preceding the DECLARE are visible to it.

I thought about not allowing variables in declare statements that are outside a
function. Do you think it makes sense to allow those? Forbidding these right
now would give us more headroomfor future development.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
ICQ 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype michaelmeskes, Jabber meskes(at)jabber(dot)org