BUG #5384: pg_dump hard-codes use of /tmp

From: "Jon Nelson" <jnelson(at)jamponi(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5384: pg_dump hard-codes use of /tmp
Date: 2010-03-19 16:56:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5384
Logged by: Jon Nelson
Email address: jnelson(at)jamponi(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.2
Operating system: openSUSE 11.2
Details:

I was trying to dump a database (with --format=tar).
I noticed I kept running out of space, but that should not have been - I was
dumping to a filesystem with plenty of space.

strace to the rescue!

strace shows me that pg_dump is using /tmp - hardcoded because my TMPDIR
environment variable does *not* point to /tmp.

So, there are two issues:

1. why is pg_dump using a temporary directory (other than the $CWD) anyway?

2. More importantly, why is pg_dump ignoring TMPDIR ?