Re: Getting to beta1

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting to beta1
Date: 2010-03-18 03:42:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see vacuum_defer_cleanup_age added to the "Archive" section
> > > of postgresql.conf,
> >
> > Not all parameters are in postgresql.conf.sample. Encouraging people to
> > do this is the wrong approach.
> >
> > > and add it to the docs (I'll write something this
> > > week).
> >
> > It's already in the docs, so if they read it and understand it they can
> > add it to the postgresql.conf if they so choose.
>
> I agree with Josh Berkus that vacuum_defer_cleanup_age should be in
> postgresql.conf. We don't stop listing items just because they are
> dangerous, e.g. fsync, or to discourage their use. I believe Greg Smith
> also felt it should be included.

The bottom line is that the fact that vacuum_defer_cleanup_age is
missing from postgresql.conf is causing confusion because none of the
other settings are skipped to discourage their use. If you want to
apply that policy, we would have to revisit all the postgresql.conf
settings, and I don't think there is much interest in doing that.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do