BUG #5372: insert into fails with integer expression type char error

From: "Gray Watson" <gray(dot)pg(at)mailnull(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5372: insert into fails with integer expression type char error
Date: 2010-03-12 01:01:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5372
Logged by: Gray Watson
Email address: gray(dot)pg(at)mailnull(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.9
Operating system: debian linux
error
Details:

I have 2 tables which have the same schema (as far as I can see) but when I
try to do the following in psql:

INSERT INTO old_log SELECT * FROM log WHERE time < '2010-02-01';

I get the error:

ERROR: column "port" is of type integer but expression is of type character

old_log is:

Column | Type | Modifiers

---------+-----------------------------+------------------------------------
----------------
port | integer |
session | character(32) |
account | text |
slot | text |
comment | text | not null
time | timestamp without time zone | default ('now'::text)::timestamp(6)
with time zone
extra | text |
addr | text |

log is:

Column | Type | Modifiers

---------+-----------------------------+------------------------------------
----------------
port | integer |
session | character(32) |
account | text |
slot | text |
comment | text | not null
time | timestamp without time zone | default ('now'::text)::timestamp(6)
with time zone
extra | text |
addr | text |
"log_account" btree (account)
"log_time" btree ("time")

I tried making port have a default 0 and converting the null port values in
log to be 0. I also dumped the table and looked at the fields and could not
see a text one.

Various different web searches leave me baffled. I see some array casting
bullets in the 8.4.X release notes. If that is the fix, is there a 8.3.10
in the works?

Thanks.