Filesysstems

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Filesysstems
Date: 2010-03-06 13:55:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Heyho!

On Friday 05 March 2010 20.18:46 Greg Smith wrote:
> The short version is that ext3 combined with regular hard drives has
> never been safe for database use by default, [...]
> The change in ext4 [...] eliminating the source for that cheat.

Tangentially related: how is the behaviour [1] of pg when the db is located
on an extent based cow filesysstem like btrfs? I'm not too sure about the
internals, but my understanding is that the mechanism is a bit similar to
what pg does with its mvcc: new content is written into empty space and then
later pointers are updated to point to the new content.

[1] I'd expect that there are no issues with reliability, assuming the fs is
bug-free. I'm more worried about performance. Wouldn't the table files get
fragmented more and more with updates?

cheers
-- vbi

--