Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date: 2010-02-27 04:53:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> [100226 23:39]:

> Just not having the actual query running on the master is such a
> reduction in damage that I think it's delivering the essence of what
> people are looking for regardless. That it might be possible in some
> cases to additionally avoid the overhead that comes along with any
> long-running query is a nice bonus, and it's great the design allows for
> that possibility. But if that's only possible with risk, heavy
> tweaking, and possibly some hacks, I'm not sure that's making the right
> trade-offs for everyone.

Would we (ya, the royal we) be willing to say that if you want the
benifit of removing the MVCC overhead of long-running queries you need
to run PITR backup/archive recovery, and if you want SR, you get a
closed-loop master-follows-save-xmin behaviour?

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,