BUG #5347: initdb does not work when a data directory has been deleted

From: "David Andersen" <david(dot)andersen(at)andersen-innovation(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5347: initdb does not work when a data directory has been deleted
Date: 2010-02-26 11:41:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5347
Logged by: David Andersen
Email address: david(dot)andersen(at)andersen-innovation(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.2
Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit
deleted
Details:

I had my database placed at /data. The data in that database was somehow
corrupted (my mistake) so I dropped the database with the following
warnings:

postgres=# drop database adatabase;
WARNING: could not remove file or directory "base/16397": Directory not
empty
WARNING: some useless files may be left behind in old database directory
"base/16397"
DROP DATABASE

I then deleted the whole directory /data and attempted to run initdb again
as seen below. A workaround, which worked was to run initdb -D ..\data3. So
the severity of this bug is very low, but I want postgresql to be perfect!

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>initdb -D ..\data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "David
Andersen".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale Danish_Denmark.1252.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
The default text search configuration will be set to "danish".

initdb: directory "../data" exists but is not empty
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "../data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "../data".

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>dir ..
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 2A35-DFB6

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4

26-02-2010 12:34 <DIR> .
26-02-2010 12:34 <DIR> ..
22-02-2010 15:16 <DIR> bin
02-02-2010 11:07 <DIR> csv
04-02-2010 11:11 321.557.856 csv.zip
23-02-2010 19:57 <DIR> data2
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> doc
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> include
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> installer
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> lib
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> pgAdmin III
29-01-2010 21:37 358 pg_env.bat
08-02-2010 11:10 <DIR> scripts
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> share
29-01-2010 21:36 <DIR> StackBuilder
29-01-2010 21:37 <DIR> symbols
29-01-2010 21:37 2.914.462 uninstall-postgresql.exe
3 File(s) 324.472.676 bytes
14 Dir(s) 197.489.139.712 bytes free

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>