BUG #5340: Requirement of different syntax on different OS

From: "pradeep" <patilpradeep_15(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5340: Requirement of different syntax on different OS
Date: 2010-02-22 19:51:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5340
Logged by: pradeep
Email address: patilpradeep_15(at)yahoo(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 1.10.1
Operating system: windows 7
Details:

If I am using windows 7, I need to pass following query
"select max(column_name) from table_name"; to get the highest entry in that
column, but if I am using Windows XP, I need to pass query "select
max('column_name') from table_name"; for the same operation.
Why do I need single quote when I am using XP and not when I am
using windows7 ?