Re: SSD + RAID

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD + RAID
Date: 2010-02-22 14:37:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> >> Agreed, thought I thought the problem was that SSDs lie about their
> >> cache flush like SATA drives do, or is there something I am missing?
> >>

> > There's exactly one case I can find[1] where this century's IDE
> > drives lied more than any other drive with a cache:
>
> Ron is correct that the problem of mainstream SATA drives accepting the
> cache flush command but not actually doing anything with it is long gone
> at this point. If you have a regular SATA drive, it almost certainly
> supports proper cache flushing. And if your whole software/storage
> stacks understands all that, you should not end up with corrupted data
> just because there's a volative write cache in there.

OK, but I have a few questions. Is a write to the drive and a cache
flush command the same? Which file systems implement both? I thought a
write to the drive was always assumed to flush it to the platters,
assuming the drive's cache is set to write-through.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do