Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Oops, don't forget to rewind the directory before scanning it to

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Oops, don't forget to rewind the directory before scanning it to
Date: 2010-02-22 07:59:36
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Monday 22 February 2010 04:58:29 Tom Lane wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > + Free(xldir);
> >
> > s/Free/FreeDir ?
>
> Yeah, that too. I think it's all good now, but please test.
At least I havent seen any of the problems pointed out in "fsync fun".

> One thing I was wondering was whether the stat-wrong-file problem
> could explain the buildfarm failures that we thought were evidence
> of a portability issue. I was tempted to re-enable the #ifdef NOTYET
> code, but didn't want to pull that trigger while there were other
> problems outstanding.
I unfortunately dont think so. The mkdir above should not have been bothered
by the stat issue - especially as it was only introduced by the commit to
disable the fsyncing.

> I also think it should scan the todir not the fromdir, just on
> general principles to avoid any possibility of race conditions.
That one actually was my idea/code and intentional with the idea to error out
at one more place if anything goes wrong in the copy loop - I could not think
of any race issues created by that which were not there before.
On the other hand its unlikely to catch anything so I dont mind.

Andres