Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql
Date: 2010-02-19 18:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 01:34:46PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> >
> >> +1 for the CREATE LANGUAGE IF NOT EXISTS behavior.
> >
> >> The regression test in the core is targeting only its version,
> >> but some external projects have version-independent tests.
> >
> > I think it's more like "are under the fond illusion that their
> > tests are version-independent".  Are we going to back out the next
> > incompatible change we choose to make as soon as somebody notices
> > that it breaks a third-party test case?  I don't think so.  Let me
> > point out that choosing to install plpgsql by default has already
> > broken "--single" restore of practically every pg_dump out there.
> >  Nobody batted an eye about that.  Why are we suddenly so
> > concerned about its effects on unnamed test suites?
>
> I am still of the opinion that changing this was a bad idea for
> exactly this reason. We could perhaps ameliorate this problem by
> implementing CREATE OR REPLACE for languages and emitting that
> instead; then the command in the dump would be a noop.

CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE is an even bigger tar pit.

For example:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-10/msg00386.php

Please find attached a patch which does this check in pg_regress.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Attachment Content-Type Size
ignore_plpgsql.diff text/plain 659 bytes