Re: PostgreSQL::PLPerl::Call - Simple interface for calling SQL functions from PostgreSQL PL/Perl

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL::PLPerl::Call - Simple interface for calling SQL functions from PostgreSQL PL/Perl
Date: 2010-02-17 12:28:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 02:13:30PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> > It keeps the code simple and repeat calls fast.
>
> Yes, but if it's a variadic function, I suspect that it won't often be
> called with the same number of args. So you'd potentially end up
> caching a lot of extra stuff that would never be used again.

Potentially. Patches welcome!

> >> So, is this on GitHub yet? That way I can submit patches.
> >
> > I've uploaded PostgreSQL-PLPerl-Call-1.003.tar.gz to CPAN with these
> > changes. It's in git but not github yet. Maybe soonish.
>
> I saw. I think it might pay to heed Richard's suggestion not to use "SP".

Umm, perhaps F->funcname(@args), or PG->funcname(@args), or ... ?

Anyone got any better suggestions?

> By the way, I think it needs some documentation explaining how to load it inside PL/Perl.

I thought about that, and started to write it, but dropped it for now.
I'll wait till my "cunning plan" to share code with the Safe compartment
(aka PostgreSQL::PLPerl::Injector) is done then document how call() can
be used in both plperlu and plperl.

Tim.