Re: psycopg2 license changed

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)initd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psycopg2 license changed
Date: 2010-02-16 15:53:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Even if tests and examples code aren't almost never distributed except
> in the psycopg2 source package? A couple of other people contributed to
> the tests: if you really feel like it is so important I'll contact them
> and ask their permission to use the LGPL3 + exception (the contribution
> was without the exception) or remove the code (we won't lose much.)

Yes, I believe you must contact any code contributors before changing
the license because the assumption is that those code contributions
matched the license at the time the code was contributed. If the
license changes, the original contributions retain the original license
unless you get their approval. Dave Page went through this when he
changed the license of pgAdmin --- he had to contact all previous code
contributors to get their approval.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com